Getting your mindset ready to Downsize/Right-size
Whatever your needs in rightsizing your home, remember its never too early to start thinking-and doing, to help pave way for a well deserved time of life.
Most of us know there will come a day when we need to downsize, whether is out of necessity, or a pre-emptive strike to lessen the burden on our loved ones. As they say, timing is everything, and the best time to get rid of un-essentials is during times when you are feeling peaceful and ready to tackle what would feel un-surmountable during times of stress – such as often happens when we procrastinate until it is inevitable, due to change in health, lifestyle or an emergency dictates it to be done now.
Downsizing could even be re-named to ‘right-sizing’, having a less negative connotation will help develop the right -mindset. Once we have taken the first step, each one thereafter can and often does become just that little bit easier, especially when we feel ready. Even at the best of times, right-sizing can often be both emotionally and physically draining, but it doesn’t have to be and overwhelming process. Here are a few tips to help make the transition easier:
- Start early. Because the process always takes longer than you anticipate, you need to allow plenty of time to get through all you have set out for yourself. After all, most of our possessions have emotional connections which we may have to learn to wrestle with to get in the rhythm of sorting into piles to either toss, keep, donate, sell, or gift to loved ones. When we aren’t rushed we find downsizing to be much less stressful.
- Make a list of what you will keep, and another of your most precious and important items you will be letting go of, and how you wish to deal with them. Clear a space in one room where you will place all the items you plan to give to your loved ones and sort what will be placed there. If you always planned to give the silver set to your first granddaughter, start her pile and continue from there. As you go filling that room will get easier, and your lists will get longer. Or better yet, hand your list of things you are not keeping over to your children to make decisions.
- Set reasonable goals. Be kind and gentle on yourself. Its important to remember, it took decades and generations to gather these items it takes time to decide how best to accomplish your goal of sending all that accumulation off to a place you can feel good about – for the most part.
- Enjoy the process! Sorting through items you haven’t laid eyes on for years can be a very rewarding way to say goodbye. Enjoy but don’t wallow- remember you have set a timeframe and try to stick to it to get through to the end goal.
- Consider asking for help – whether it be from family members, close friends, or a trusted company who you may hire to help.
Whatever your needs in rightsizing your home, remember it’s never too early to start thinking-and doing, to help pave way for a well deserved time of life.